Education Benefits

GI Bill Education Benefits

This VA web page provides information on GI Bill Education Benefits.

Big Win for Student Vets

The VA will now reimburse the cost of schooling at the in-state rate for all veterans using GI Bill benefits at any public college or university, regardless of where the veteran resides.

Under current law, veterans attending a public college or university under the GI Bill generally must establish residency for the VA to reimburse tuition at the in-state rate.  See more.

New GI Bill Transfer Rules Effective Aug. 1

Soldiers who request transfer of their Post 9/11 GI Bill education benefits to family members on or after Aug. 1 will be obligated to serve four more years.  That obligation applies regardless of their time in service, under a long-planned tightening of eligibility rules for the special benefits program.  This Army Times article provides details of these new rules.

Montgomery GI Bill

Education benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill are explained on this VA web page.

GI Bill Benefit Comparison Tools

For many eligible participants, the Post-9/11 GI Bill is a better solution than other education benefit programs, such as the Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty, Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve and the Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP). However, this decision depends on several factors, including the type of education or training you plan to take and the amount of benefits received under each program. These comparison tools may help you in making your decision.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program

The VR&E program’s benefits are explained on this VA web page.

Education Information on

The web site includes: (1) GI Bill Guide, (2) Tuition Assistance Guide, (3) Education Benefits Overview, (4) College Credit for Service, (5) Steps to Getting Your Degree, (6) Scholarship Finder, (7) Military-Friendly School Finder.

Education Counseling at Walter Reed

Heather Bernard  (202-550-8529 of the American Council on Education (ACE) can provide educational counseling to WWs, including GED, vocational training, college or community college, or and graduate school. She can provide guidance about the school search and application process, including: (1) essay writing; (2) SAT, ACT, GMAT, LSAT, TOEFL registration, advice and tutoring; (3) submission of application materials; (4) introductions to college or vocation program advisers; and, (5) help finding online and distance learning programs.  Contact Ms. Mernard at the American Council on Education (ACE), One Dupont Circle, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20036. Office (202) 298-8454, Cell (202) 550-8529, Email


University of Idaho – Operation Education Scholarships

The University of Idaho has launched the Operation Education Scholarship Program to help Veterans severely and permanently wounded as a result of service since September 11, 2001. The spouses of wounded veterans are also eligible for the scholarships. It is the first such program in the nation. Contact Heidi Linehan at, University of Idaho – Student Union Building, 709 Deakin Ave., Moscow, Idaho 83844, Telephone 1 (888) 884-3246.

MyCAA Scholaships

My CAA Scholarships are $2,000. per years for 2 years or $4,000. total.  Scholarships are for spouses of E-5’s and under.  Awards are relatively easy to get.

Colorado Technical University Scholarships

The CTU Wounded Warrior Scholarship program is for both technical and general studies courses and are all on line.  Apply at the Education Center or the Navy College. For more information contact Stefanie Beebe, Manager of Military Relations, Office  630-967-5681 Cell: 847-217-9649 The website is: